Pittsburgh, PA – The Pittsburgh Pirates today announced their 2013 regular season schedule, which will feature the Bucs opening the season at PNC Park versus National League Central Division rival Chicago Cubs on Monday, April 1.
In addition there will be a total of 39 N.L. Central Divisional home games, including the first nine home games of the season, against the St. Louis Cardinals, Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee Brewers and Cincinnati Reds throughout the reg- ular season as the five teams battle for the divisional crown.
Some highlights of the 2013 regular season include:
• April 1 thru April 4 vs. Chicago Cubs – Opening series against the Cubs.
• May 3 thru May 8 – A five-game homestand with the Washington Nationals and Seattle Mariners, who will make their first trip to PNC Park since the 2004 season.
• May 29 and May 30 – As part of Major League Baseball’s new Interleague schedule, the Pirates will host a two-game series verus new Interleague rival the Detroit Tigers as part of a four-game home-and-home series that week.
• July 2 thru July 4 – A three-game series against in-state rival the Phillies featuring a special holiday matchup on July 4.
• July 8 thru July 10 – Interleague play continues as the Oakland Athletics visit for a three-game set for their second visit to PNC Park.
• September 12 thru September 22 – The final homestand of the regular season will have key divisional matchups against the Cubs and Reds, in addition to a series vs. the Padres.
Next year will mark the first time that the A.L. and the N.L. will have 15 teams apiece as the Houston Astros shift to the American League West and each of the six divisions will have five clubs for the first time ever. As a result of the odd number of teams in each league, Interleague Play will be played throughout the entire regular season. Each Club will play 20 Interleague games. These 20 Interleague games will be played in eight series – four at home and four on the road. Also as part of the new Interleague format, the Pirates will play their designated Interleague rival the Detroit Tigers in back-to-back two-game series spanning both cities.
The entire 2013 schedule is attached and has also been posted on www.pirates.com (dates and opponents are sub- ject to change). Game times and promotions will be announced at a later date.
Photo Credits: Bronx Baseball Daily