For college basketball fans, March is by far the best month. With tournament selection less than two weeks away, there are still teams fighting for their tournament lives. These two weeks are the make it or break it. The balls in their court. Win and your in. Lose and say hello to the NIT. There are still teams fighting for spots and here are 6 that have the chance to play and punch their way into what some consider the greatest sporting event there is.
- Saint Mary’s: The Gaels are right on the bubble when it comes to the Tourney this year. A win over Creighton during the Bracketbusters helped immensely. With only the WCC tournament left on their schedule, the Gaels most likely will have to avoid an early loss not to be in the Big Dance. A potential matchup with Gonzaga and a victory to follow will guarantee that Saint Mary’s deserves to be in.
- Kentucky: What to do with the Wildcats? Every since John Calipari took over the head job, the Wildcats have never failed to miss a NCAA tournament. This year, Kentucky is right on the bubble. Losing Nerlens Noel has hurt them defensively. With a matchup with Florida looming a win would help their tournament stock in a huge way. A loss to them and the Wildcats will almost have to make some noise in the SEC tournament.
- Villanova: Another Wildcats team on the bubble. Jay Wright’s team has some impressive wins to go along with some ugly losses. You look at the wins and you say they have to be in. You look at the losses and then that is where the questions come into play. Villanova still has Georgetown at home and like Kentucky a win most likely means there in. A loss and it will be date with destiny in MSG for the Big East Tournament.
- Maryland/Virginia: Two ACC schools with similar profiles. Good things about these teams is they both beat Duke. Bad things about these teams are they both have head-scratching losses. Well these teams face off in the season finale for both of them. Consider this a play-in game, as the winner will have another quality win and a leg up while the loser will look towards the ACC tournament for redemption.
- Arizona St.: With Herb Sendek coaching with his job on the line this season, the Sun Devils turnaround from the disaster last year is nothing short of spectacular. A tournament bid will make the turnaround complete. Jahii Carson is the best player you’ve never seen. However with three straight losses going into their season finale with Arizona, the Sun Devils are leaking oil at time at a not-so-good time. Like every other team on this list, Arizona St needs a win. Arizona gives them the opportunity to do so.
Photo Credits: ESPN