Coming off another successful season in 2014. The Washington and Jefferson Presidents find themselves in a familiar position heading into 2015.
That would be as the favorites in the Presidents’ Athletic Conference.
W&J is the overwhelming favorite to repeat as conference champions, finishing atop the 2015 PAC Preseason Football Poll. It is the eighth time since 2000 that the Presidents have been tabbed the conference’s preseason favorite.
W&J collected 28 first-place votes, while their 368 total points to lead the poll. Thomas More College was second with six first-place votes and 341 points, followed by Bethany College in third place with 265 points.
Waynesburg University was picked to finish fourth.
The Presidents finished last season 10-2 overall record and 7-1 in conference play, earning a share of their league-leading 24th PAC title and also made their 24th Division III playoff appearance.
“It’s humbling and is an honor for our program. It’s an honor to have that much respect from other programs, media and those around the league. We’ve been in this position before, but we know that it doesn’t necessarily indicate how the season will play out,” said 13-year head coach Mike Sirianni via a press release.
W&J checks in at No. 15 on the D3football.com Preseason Top 25, while Thomas More checks in at No. 23.
The PAC’s preseason poll, is voted on by PAC head coaches, sports information directors, and media panel.
The entire voting was as follows:
1. Washington & Jefferson College (368 total points, 28 first-place votes)
2. Thomas More College (341 pts., 6 first-place votes)
3. Bethany College (265 pts.)
4. Waynesburg University (225 pts.)
5. Saint Vincent College (212 pts.)
6. Westminster College (209 pts.)
7. Case Western Reserve University (169 pts.)
8. Carnegie Mellon University (148 pts.)
9. Geneva College (128 pts.)
10. Thiel (123 pts.)
11. Grove City College (56 pts.)
Photo Credit: Washington and Jefferson College